January 30, 2009

SlumDog Poorism

brief.

I loved this movie, and dream of seeing it again in theaters again before the opportunity passes.  Its so tactile and visually appealing, I know it will be a step down at the least when I NetFlix it again in 6 months.  But this Slate article broke my heart a little, tearing the movie apart.  It still gives the work its due, but is definitely something to consider when you realize just how accessible and digestible this"foreign" film really is.



the article.




quote.

"Some would argue that Boyle is guilty of aestheticizing poverty. That's a loaded charge, with its own problematic assumption about what poverty should look like. I would contend that the movie's real sin is not its surfeit of style but the fact that its style is in service of so very little."

No comments: